A Tip on Translation - Add Value! 翻訳のこつ - 付加価値

Japanese follows English. 英語の後に日本語が続きます。

I'm writing this post to keep a record of my translation experience. Please read the following two sentences: 

(1) I will email you about the following, which you already know:
(2) I am writing to you to make you aware of the following just in case there is any misunderstanding: 

These two sentences were translated from the following same Japanese text:
既にご理解のこととは存じますが以下についてメールいたします。

(1) is Google Translate's translation, while (2) is mine. This is the beginning of a  business email. Which would you choose? 

When asked by someone to translate business emails written in Japanese into English, I try to interpret the source text and convert it to something equivalent in English. I don't do word-for-word translation. Only few, who are Japanese and fluently speak English and can do translation themselves, but ask me to translate for them, appreciate this my small "effort." I always want to add value to my translation. That's the only way for me to survive.     

先日ちょっと考えさせられた翻訳があったのでご紹介します。以下の文章の訳を頼まれた時です。

既にご理解のこととは存じますが以下についてメールいたします。

(1) I will email you about the following, which you already know:
(2) I am writing to you to make you aware of the following just in case there is any misunderstanding: 

メールの冒頭部分です。(1)はGoogle 翻訳、(2)が私の訳。まあ意味分かるからどっちでもいいし、どちらがいいかはユーザーが決めるわけですが、この機械翻訳の時代、ビジネス文書の翻訳をする際には、何かしらの付加価値を提供したいと日々努力しております。AIにできないことしないとね!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

Single-Flowered White Sasanqua Camellia with Pink Edges 一重でピンクの縁取りの白山茶花

英語の後に日本語が続きます。 The Camellia sasanqua is native to, and can be found across, Japan. It produces flowers from October to December (as opposed ...