This is a 19th-century wooden netsuke shaped like a mermaid, measuring 4 to 5 cm long, housed at the Tokyo National Museum. Its carver is unknown.
I was surprised by this netsuke because it's not what I imagined a mermaid to look like. (It doesn't look like the Little Mermaid at all!) I googled it and was even more surprised to find that in Japan, The Nihon Shoki (The Chronicles of Japan) referred to mermaids as early as the 6th century. Japan also has a legendary Buddhist nun who lived to be 800 years old by eating the flesh of a mermaid. Wow, the concept of a mermaid varies significantly from country to country!
I was surprised by this netsuke because it's not what I imagined a mermaid to look like. (It doesn't look like the Little Mermaid at all!) I googled it and was even more surprised to find that in Japan, The Nihon Shoki (The Chronicles of Japan) referred to mermaids as early as the 6th century. Japan also has a legendary Buddhist nun who lived to be 800 years old by eating the flesh of a mermaid. Wow, the concept of a mermaid varies significantly from country to country!
A netsuke is a small carved ornament, especially of ivory or wood, worn as part of Japanese traditional dress as a toggle by which an article may be attached to the sash of a kimono (Source: Lexico). If you love netsuke, check out this list of dozens of items!
(If you wish to post your comment but don't have a Google account, select "anonymous" from the drop down menu titled "comment as"!)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿