Irefuda (The Ballot) 入れ札

英語の後に日本語が続きます。

If you still remember a book from your childhood, it helps show who you are. For me, one such book is Irefuda (The Ballot) by Kan Kikuchi (1888–1948)—a Japanese author who founded a publishing company as well as the Akutagawa Prize and the Naoki Prize, Japan's two most prestigious literary awards."

Irefuda, which literally means "a vote or ballot," is a fictional story about Kurosuke, a member of a band of outlaws led by Chuji Kunisada, a professional gambler and folk hero. Chuji was wanted for murder and on the run with his followers, including Kurosuke. Believing that fleeing as a large group would attract too much attention from the authorities, Chuji decided to dissolve the group. He wanted to take only three members with him and part ways with the rest, but he couldn't decide who to choose. Instead, he asked his followers to select the three by secret ballot.

Kurosuke was a senior member, but he had recently lost the trust of the others. Hoping that a few people would vote for him so he could be chosen, Kurosuke cast a vote for himself. However, he received only a single vote—his own. Kurosuke was deeply disappointed and ashamed of what he had done.

After Kurosuke left the group, however, something unexpected happened. Yasuke, a younger member, followed him. Yasuke said he didn't understand why Kurosuke hadn't been chosen, adding that he himself had voted for Kurosuke.

Kurosuke instinctively grabbed the hilt of his katana, but froze. He realized that to call Yasuke out on his lie, he would have to admit that he had voted for himself. Doing so would only make him feel even more embarrassed.

Japanese elementary schools usually recommend certain books. I read all such books and forgot most of them, but I remember a few, one of which is Irefuda and I know why. I desperately wanted to be popular and chosen as the class president. I changed schools many times, going to four elementary schools and three junior high. I was so lonely that I was jealous of popular classmates. And I hated such myself... 

Japanese elementary schools usually recommend certain books. I read all of them but forgot most, though I remember a few—one of which is Irefuda—and I know why. Back then, I desperately wanted to be popular and chosen as class president. Because my family moved a lot, I attended four different elementary schools and three junior high schools. 

I was so lonely that I felt jealous of my popular classmates, and I hated myself for it. I completely understood how Kurosuke felt. That is why I still sometimes remember this story, along with the lonely version of myself from those days
  
(If you wish to post your comment but don't have a Google account, select "anonymous" from the drop down menu titled "comment as"!)

菊池寛の「入れ札」ご存じですか。子供の頃読んで非常に印象深く、今も時々思い出す話の一つです。お読みになったことのない人のためにざっとあらすじを述べますと。。。

九郎助(主人公)は国定忠治の手下です。忠治は代官を殺して11人の手下と逃げています。でも、全員で逃げると目立つので、忠治は、その内3人だけを連れ、残りの手下とは別れることを決めます。ところが忠治自身はその3人を決められず「入れ札(投票)」で決めようとするところから話は面白くなります。

選ばれる自信のない九郎助は自分に投票します。でも結局他の三人が選ばれ、九郎助は一人で逃げることになります。その時です。若手の弥助が九郎助を追ってきて言うのです。「兄さん(九郎助)が選ばれなかったことには納得できない、自分は兄さんに入れた」と。

九郎助は煮えくり返る思いです。でも弥助を責めるには自分のやったことを言わなければならない。。。という話です。

「入れ札」は推薦図書の一つでした。推薦図書は全部読み、数冊を除き、後は忘れてしまったのですが、その覚えている数冊の内の一冊が「入れ札」です。理由は分かってます。転校ばかりで寂しかった私はクラスの人気者に嫉妬していたのです。そしてそんな自分が大嫌いでした。

今でも九郎助に共感した自分をはっきり覚えています。そして今も折に触れ、九郎助と、その頃いつも一人ぼっちだった自分を思い出します。

(Google アカウントを持ってない方は、コメント記入後に「Google アカウント」をクリックし、「匿名」か「名前/URL」を選択してからご記入ください!)

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

Pale Grass Blue (Pseudozizeeria Maha) 大和小灰蝶(ヤマトシジミ)

英語の後に日本語が続きます。 A male pale grass blue butterfly (Pseudozizeeria maha) looks completely different depending on whether its wings are open (1s...