英語の後に日本語が続きます。
The books that stay in your memory reveal who you are. Mateo Falcone is one such book for me.
Mateo Falcone is a short story by Prosper Mérimée about Mateo Falcone, a respected landowner in Corsica. Mateo kills his 10-year-old son, Fortunato, because the boy acts as a 'traitor.' While Mateo was away, Fortunato first hides a fugitive seeking help in exchange for a silver coin, but later betrays his whereabouts to a soldier for a silver watch. (See this Wikipedia page for details.)
It's barbaric for a father to kill his 10-year-old son, whatever the reason (and it's of course wrong to kill), but that's not why I still remember this story. Mateo's decision to choose his morals over his son's life fascinated—and still fascinates—me.
I'm not writing to judge whether Mateo was right or wrong (again, it's of course wrong to kill), but one thing I can say for sure is that I cannot like Fortunato because I hate traitors. I hate traitors so much that I didn't tell a teacher the names of my classmates who passed me notes during class, no matter how angry the teacher got. Also, I didn't tell my father about my brother's money troubles until the issue became unmanageable and I had to leave it in my dad's hands.
I read this book at my paternal grandparents' house once or twice, but it was so shocking that I still sometimes remember the story. I ask myself from time to time what I would say if I were a German under the Nazi regime who hid a Jewish friend and was asked by a cop if I was hiding a Jew...
I probably would not be able to keep my mouth shut. Like Fortunato, I'm not that strong. And while I disagree with Mateo's way of handling the situation, I cannot help but feel some sympathy for him because he observed his morals so strictly that he had to kill his son. Such strength to act on his beliefs intrigues me.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿