Tricyrtis Macropoda ヤマホトトギス(山杜鵑草)

英語の後に日本語が続きます。

These are Tricyrtis macropoda and Tricyrtis formosana 'Samurai' (maybe... 😅). I saw Tricyrtis macropoda at the Mukojima Hyakkaen Garden and the latter in my neighborhood, both here in Tokyo.

In the West, they are called the toad lily because they have spots that look like a toad's skin, and they prefer shady, moist places like toads. But this perception does not apply to Japan. The toad lily is called the "lesser cuckoo" (hototogisu) in Japan because of its spots, which look like the chest plumage of this small bird.

A lesser cuckoo is used to describe clear differences in the characteristics of three Japanese samurai lords: Nobunaga Oda, Hideyoshi Toyotomi, and Ieyasu Tokugawa (16th to 17th century). They are said to have responded as follows when asked what they would do if a lesser cuckoo does not sing:

Nobunaga: "I will kill the cuckoo."
Hideyoshi: "I will make the cuckoo sing."
Ieyasu: "I will wait until the cuckoo sings."
So, what would you do if a cuckoo didn't sing? Me? I will take pictures of the cuckoo😉!

Tricyrtis macropoda ヤマホトトギス

Tricyrtis macropoda ヤマホトトギス

Tricyrtis macropoda from the side 横から

 Tricyrtis formosana タイワンホトトギス

Tricyrtis formosana タイワンホトトギス

Tricyrtis formosana from the side 横から

Many tricyrtis formosana タイワンホトトギスがいっぱい



(If you wish to post your comment but don't have a Google account, select "anonymous" from the drop down menu titled "comment as"!)

向島百花園で見たヤマホトトギスと近所のタイワンホトトギスです。ホトトギスの名は、斑点が鳥の胸の斑点と似ているから。杜鵑、杜宇、蜀魂、不如帰、時鳥、子規、田鵑とも書きます。油の模様染みにも見えるから油点草(ユテンソウ)ともいいます。

ホトトギスには何十種類もあるそうです。なので、ヤマホトトギスはタグにそう書いてあったので確かなのですが、タイワンホトトギスは自信ありません。。。

ホトトギスといえば、信長、秀吉、家康の歌が有名ですよね。あなたはどのタイプですか?私は「鳴かぬなら写真を撮ろうホトトギス」です😉

(Google アカウントを持ってない方は、コメント記入後に「Google アカウント」をクリックし、「匿名」か「名前/URL」を選択してからご記入ください!)

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

Toad Lily (Tricyrtis Formosana) タイワンホトトギス(台湾杜鵑草)

英語の後に日本語が続きます。 They are toad lilies (Tricyrtis formosana). While this plant is typically said to flower from August to September, I’ve come ...